Information for future Higher Degree Research (HDR) students
Your journey to the PhD or MPhil starts with the initial enquiry.
- Check your eligibility against the admission requirements
- You need to have an equivalent of an Australian Honours degree with First Class Honours for PhD and a Bachelor degree with an overall grade of distinction or higher from an Australian university for a Master of Philosophy, or a Master degree with a research component. We also take into account any relevant research experience, publications and awards for academic excellence.
- There must be a supervisor who is willing to work with you.
- All applicants must meet the ANU English language requirements – these are outlined in the English language admission requirements for students policy.
- Find your supervisor
Identify a research area and a potential supervisor with whom you may like to work with. You may also like to explore our available student research projects or browse our department webpages.
- Provide documentation for preliminary assessment
Once you have assessed your eligibility and identified an area you would like to work in, please send us your CV, transcripts and details of up to three supervisors/projects in order of preference to email@example.com. We will undertake a preliminary assessment and advise you whether you should proceed to the formal application.
- How to apply
If you have been invited to submit a formal application, please apply following the steps on the central website. The code for the PhD program in Physics is 9680 and for the MPhil program is 8680.
Applications are open throughout the year.
If you are applying for a research scholarship, please be aware of the individual scholarship application deadlines. You must indicate on your admission application form whether you still wish to be considered for admission if your application for a scholarship is unsuccessful.