Come on a journey to level zero where lasers cool and atoms lase. Bose-Einstein Condensates form a robust platform for research that spans a wide range of physics. I will review recent work in our group and explain the techniques and methods that we use. The talk will cover:
- Cherenkov radiation in a nonlinear medium
- Ultrasensitive potential sensing to improve quantum electrodynamics.
- Putting a new weight on entanglement.
- Building a quantum simulator with crystals made of light.
- Using machine learning to speed up experiments.
- Looking beyond the edge of a BEC at quantum depletion.
There will be refreshments to accompany the talk. It will be followed by a tour of the He* BEC lab.