In this talk, I will discuss on different optimized light harvesting or emission strategies that make use of nanoparticle based optical materials integrated in optoelectronic devices. Approaches based on the inclusion of dielectric and metal particles, periodically textured surfaces or distributed Bragg reflectors will be presented, and the different scattering or near field enhancement effects involved discussed. The interplay between the electrical and optical properties of the devices will also be addressed. Examples of the application on actual photovoltaic devices (perovskite and dye sensitized film based) and light emitting coatings (rare earth nanophosphor based) will be provided.
Related recent references:
- “Photonic Tuning of the Emission Color of Nanophosphor Films Processed at High Temperature”, H. Míguez et al. Adv. Opt. Mater. 2017, 5, 1700099.
- “Design and Realization of a Novel Optically Disordered Material: A Demonstration of a Mie Glass”, H. Míguez et al. Adv. Opt. Mater. 2017, 5, 1700025.
- “Plasmonic Nanoparticles as Light-Harvesting Enhancers in Perovskite Solar Cells: A User's Guide” H. Míguez et al. ACS Energy Lett. 2016, 1, 323.
- ”Highly Efficient Perovskite Solar Cells with Tunable Structural Color” H. Míguez, H.J. Snaith et al. Nano Lett. 2015, 15, 1698.
- “Absorption Enhancement in Organic-Inorganic Halide Perovskite Films with Embedded Plasmonic Gold Nanoparticles” H. Míguez et al., J.Phys.Chem. C 2015, 119, 18635.
- “Full Solution Processed Mesostructured Optical Resonators Integrating Colloidal Semiconductor Quantum Dots” H. Míguez et al., Nanoscale 2015, 7, 16583.
- “Optical Description of Mesostructured Organic-Inorganic Halide Perovskite Solar Cells” H.J. Snaith, H. Míguez et al., J. Phys. Chem. Lett. 2015, 6, 48.
- “Fine Tuning the Emission Properties of Nanoemitters in Multilayered Structures by Deterministic Control of their Local Photonic Environment” H. Míguez et al., Small 2015, 11, 2727.
- “Multidirectional Light-Harvesting Enhancement in Dye Solar Cells by Surface Patterning” H. Míguez et al., Advanced Optical Materials 2014, 2, 879.
- “Dye sensitized solar cells as optically random photovoltaic media” J.Halme, H.Míguez et al., Energy & Environ. Sci. 2014, 7, 689.