Global Young Scientists Summit (GYSS) - 17 to 20 January 2023
Published in the Research School of Physics Event Horizon
Vol47 Issue22 6–10 June 2022
The National Research Foundation Singapore (NRF) is excited to share that GYSS 2023 will be hosted onsite in Singapore! In addition, we will cater for an online audience to join our exciting programme.
The GYSS is an annual multi-disciplinary summit based in Singapore, which gathers some of the world’s foremost scientists and technologists who will engage and inspire aspiring young researchers from around the world. Eminent speakers include recipients of the Nobel Prize, Fields Medal, Millennium Technology Prize and Turing Award, among other luminaries. View highlights from the GYSS 2022 here: Panel discussions, plenary lectures and Young Scientist presentations.
GYSS 2023 will see a similar list of distinguished Speakers as GYSS 2022 (please refer to Annex A below) with the likes of Prof Robert Langer, Prof Ada Yonath, Sir Andre Geim, Prof Thomas Sudhof, Prof Alessio Figalli, Prof Stuart Parkin, and more.
Mode of participation
With international travel returning, GYSS 2023 plans to host two categories of attendees:
- on-site Participants, who will attend the Summit in Singapore, and
- online Viewers.
Sessions and attendees’ access
Both on-site Participants and online Viewers will be able to take part in a series of activities in the Summit, including live plenary lectures, panel discussions, Q&A sessions, and virtual networking platforms. All attendees also stand a chance to win attractive prizes in the GYSS video challenge that showcases their research highlights.
On top of these, on-site Participants will stand a chance to:
- participate in a small group informal session with their pre-selected speaker;
- give a short presentation on their research live on-stage or through poster sessions; and
- visit our institutes of higher learning and other prominent landmarks in Singapore.
Eligibility and Selection Criteria
Nominations for GYSS on-site Participants and online Viewers are applicable to students and researchers from universities and research institutions worldwide, at the following levels:
- Undergraduate students;
- Master’s and Doctoral students; and
- Young postdoctoral scientists.
All nominated participants, viewers and open applicants should:
- Be not be older than 35 years of age at the time of the Summit;
- Show a genuine interest in science and research;
- Show a strong commitment to their principal field of study and to interdisciplinary work;
- Received the endorsement of an organisation that was invited to provide nominees;
- Be fluent in English to actively participate in discussions;
- Not have participated in previous Global Young Scientists Summits, with the exception for GYSS 2021 and 2022; and
- Not yet have a permanent position (in general, scientists with permanent positions, in particular on the professor level, will not be admitted to the Summit).
Agreements Regarding Costs of on-site participants
1. On-Site Participants:
The GYSS Organizing Committee will cover ONLY the following items for each participant:
- Accommodation during the Summit – twin sharing room at a local hotel;
- Transport from hotel to Summit venue;
- Breakfast and lunch will be catered for daily during the Summit;
- There will be catered dinners on some days; details will be confirmed closer to date.
There is no registration cost to participate at GYSS 2023.
Flight Arrangements: Please note that Participants would need to arrange for their own flights to and from Singapore.
Covid-related regulations: to be confirmed/updated in Q4 2022, closer to the actual date of the Summit. Should there be any query, kindly contact the GYSS secretariat via the following email address: Davis_CHEW@nrf.gov.sg.
2. Online Viewers:
There is no cost for Viewers to attend GYSS 2023 online.
The ANU are able to nominate up to 5 ‘On-Site Participants’ and up to 20 ‘Online Viewers’. Please note that a nomination by ANU does not guarantee an invitation to participate in GYSS 2023. The GYSS Organising Committee reserves the right to shortlist the nominees.
Any candidate who wishes to apply will need to email the following documents to firstname.lastname@example.org by COB 10/06/2022 to be considered for selection as one of the ANU nominees:
- Selection Criteria: One page addressing the selection criteria (see Appendix B below for details).
- CV: A short CV (no fixed format but should highlight research interests, education background, awards and key publications), and
- Support: A letter from a supervisor or Head of Research School in support of the person’s application. Please note that if the applicant is a student enrolled in a coursework program they must have a letter from their College Dean of Associate Dean endorsing their application.
Date - Description
2/05/2022 - ANU applications advertised and open
10/06/2022 - Applications close
27/06/2022 - ANU GYSS 2023 Selection Panel to determine ANU nominees (up to 5 ‘On-Site Participants’ and up to 20 ‘Online Viewers’ may be nominated)
30/06/2022 - ANU nominees and unsuccessful ANU applicants notified by email
By 8/07/2022 - ANU nominees will be informed by National Research Foundation Singapore (NRF) (via their ANU email address) to complete their applications by providing further details and submitting their CVs
By end of September 2022 - ANU nominees will be informed of the status of their applications by NRF