Purchasing IT hardware
The ANU has signed on to the Whole of Government contract for printers, scanners and multifunction devices.
The contract requires all purchases of new printers, scanners and multifunction devices be made through a new purchasing process.
Please contact the SCU to discuss purchasing a new device under this contract.
Purchasing computers and laptops
To arrange the purchase of a new computer, please liaise with the SCU.
The ANU has preferred supplier arrangements for IT equipment in place to allow us to receive substantial discounts on quality hardware and to this extent the ANU wants to ensure that they are used. Up front cost should not be the determining factor when buying a computer, as when it is, the Total Cost of Ownership (TCO) over the life of the computer is more often than not much higher.
Due to this decision by the ANU, all purchases of Computer hardware must be confirmed with the SCU to ensure the full support by the team. Our current preferred supplier is Dell’s business and workstation range (Latitude, Optiplex and Precision) and these have proven to be a gold standard in terms of TCO. The SCU can arrange quotes on these lines for you and all decisions to purchase IT equipment should be discussed with SCU staff.
Alternatively we can also help with configuring and providing quotes for Apple computers.
- Contact the SCU to discuss your requirements.
- SCU staff will prepare a quotation for your consideration, and discuss it with you.
- Once you have settled on a final configuration, the SCU will provide you with a final quotation. You should fill out an online RSPE Purchase Order Form and attach the quote.
- Once approved by RSPE Finance, the order is placed with the vendor
- Your computer equipment will be delivered to the RSPE store.
- Collect your new equipment and take it to the Electronics Unit to be electrically tested and tagged.
- Once the machine has been tested and tagged bring it to the SCU to be deployed.
Computer hardware suppliers
The SCU uses the following suppliers:
- Dell Computer (desktops, servers and laptops)
- Apple (desktops and laptops)
Other vendors are available where there is a clear rationale to purchase from them rather than the preferred suppliers. Price alone is not justification for buying from non-preferred suppliers.
All computer equipment must be purchased with a 3 year next business day on-site warranty as a minimum. This should also include Pro Support in line with the ANU standard. This cannot be varied as the school does not have the resources to repair hardware outside of the warranty period except in exceptional circumstances.
The information provided above is for members of the Research School of Physics and Engineering. Other areas please contact your local IT department for support.