Grants and awards
- New Landscape of non-equilibrium material phases with exotic properties ($571.500),
A. V. Rode, S. Juodkazis, J. Williams, D. Golberg, C. J. Pickard, B. Haberl, W. Yang, L. Rapp
- Scientific Mobility Program from the Embassy of France in Australia, ($2,500)
- Endeavour Research fellowship from the Australian government by Australian Endeavour Award ($23,500)
- Research consultancy on high power laser for hands-free dentistry
- Thesis prize of the University of Mediterranean, 2011
- Prize for the best poster presentation, E-MRS, Nice, 2011
- Prize for the best poster presentation, GCL-HPL, Lisbon, 2008
Laser applications in pulsed regime (fs, ps and nanosecond) for micro- and nano-techniques and technologies.
- Fast and ultrafast laser direct writing, ablation, deposition cleaving, engraving, selective structuration.
- Laser-matter interactions in pulsed regime, ultrafast dynamics in solid, laser-induced phase transition.
- Ultrafast laser preservation and restoration of heritage structures.
- Laser-induced microexplosion and formation of super-dense material phases, matter in extreme conditions.
- Free electron laser, high-intensity X-ray beam, atomic detail analysis.
- Spectroscopy: Raman; Fabrication technique: Focused ion Beam (FIB) milling.
- Nanotechnologies: nanomaterials, nanoparticules materials and nanostructures.
- Preparation of thin films: evaporation under vacuum, spin coating, pulsed laser deposition, plasma.
- Microscopies: optic, scanning electronic (SEM), transmission (TEM), atomic force (AFM), tunnelling (STM).
Dr Ludovic Rapp is a Research Fellow at Laser Physics Centre (LPC) at the Australian National University (ANU). Ludovic has a strong background in ultra-fast laser interaction with matter, ultra-fast micromachining and expertise in beam shaping. His research work at ANU developing an ultrafast laser induced confined microexplosion method led to the discovery of two new high-density phases of Silicon, published in Nature Communications. His research interest also includes nanostructures, chemistry, as well as crystallography.
Experimental evidence of new tetragonal polymorphs of silicon formed through ultrafast laser induced confined micro explosion
L. Rapp, B. Haberl, C.J. Pickard, J.E. Bradby, E.G. Gamaly, J.S.Williams, S. Juodkazis, A.V. Rode
Nature Communication 6:7555 (2015)
A study demonstrating the formation of two novel metastable Si phases by the ultrafast laser induced confined microexplosion method, predicted theoretically but never observed in nature or in laboratory experiments. Theoretical prediction of four more new Si-allotropes with 32 atoms in a primitive cell, two tetragonal and two monoclinical.
- Pulsed-Laser Printing of Organic Thin-Film Transistors,
L. Rapp, A.K. Diallo, A.P.Alloncle, C.Videlot-Ackermann, F. Fages, P. Delaporte,
Applied Physics Letters 95, 171109 (2009)
The first demonstration of the fabrication of organic thin-film transistor using the laser forward transfer technique.
- High aspect ratio, polarisation-shaped, micro explosions in the bulk of sapphire generated by femtosecond Bessel beams
L. Rapp, R. Meyer, R. Giust, L. Furfaro, J. Dudley, F. Courvoisier
Scientific report 6 34286 (2016)
A study demonstrating the creation of high aspect ratio nanochannels inside sapphire crystal using Bessel beam, opening novel perpectives for laser processing and new materials synthesis by laser-induced compression.
- Pulsed-laser printing of silver nanoparticles ink: control of morphological properties
L. Rapp, J.Ailuno, A.P.Alloncle, P. Delaporte
Optics Express, 19 22 (2011) 21563-21574
A significant study that demonstrated the control of the morphological properties of liquid materials during the laser printing.
Ph.D. of Physics and Materials Science, 2007- 2010
With high honours, University of Mediterranean, LP3 laboratory, Marseille, France
All femtosecond optical pump and X-ray probe: holey-axicon for free electron laser
V. Anand, J. Maksimovic, T. Katkus, S. H. Ng, O. Ulcinas, M. Mikutis, J. Baltrukonis, A. Urbas, G. Slekys, H. Ogura, D. Sagae, T. Pikuz, T. Somekawa, N. Ozaki, A. Vailionis, G. Seniutinas, V. Mizeikis, K. Glazebrook, J. P. Brodie, P. R. Stoddart, L. Rapp, A. V. Rode, E. G. Gamaly, S. Juodkazis,
Arxiv 2005.14654 (2020)
Single shot femtosecond laser nano-ablation of CVD monolayer graphene,
A. Gil-Villalba, R. Meyer, R. Giust, L. Rapp, C. Billet, F. Courvoisier ,
Scientific report 8, 1, 14601 (2018)
Interaction of the ultra-short Bessel beams with transparent dielectrics: Evidence of high-energy concentration and multi-tap pressure
E.G. Gamaly, A.V. Rode, S. Juodkazis, L. Rapp, R. Giust,, L. Furfaro, P.A. Lacourt, J.M. Dudley F. Courvoisier
Arxiv 1708.08163 (2017)
- Single-shot ultrafast laser processing of high-aspect-ratio nanochannels using elliptical Bessel beams
R. Meyer, M. Jacquot, R. Giust, J. Safioui, L. Rapp L. Furfaro, P.A. Lacourt, J.M. Dudley F. Courvoisier
Optics Letters 42, 21 (2017) 4307
High aspect ratio, polarisation-shaped, micro explosions in the bulk of sapphire generated by femtosecond Bessel beams,
L. Rapp, R. Meyer, R. Giust, L. Furfaro, J. Dudley, F. Courvoisier
Scientific Report 6 34286 (2016)
Polyvinyl phenol (PVP) microcapacitors printed by laser-induced forward transfer (LIFT): multilayered pixel design and thermal analysis investigations
C. Constantinescu, L. Rapp, P. Rotaru, P. Delaporte, A.P. Alloncle,
Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics 49 (15) 155301 (2016)
- Experimental evidence of new tetragonal polymorphs of silicon formed through ultrafast laser-induced confined microexplosion
L. Rapp, B. Haberl, C.J. Pickard, J.E. Bradby, E.G. Gamaly, J.S. Williams, S. Juodkazis, A.V. Rode
Nature Communications 6, 1 (2015)
Photoluminescence from voids created by femtosecond- laser pulses inside cubic-BN,
R. Buividas, I. Aharonovich, G. Seniutinas, X. W. Wang, L. Rapp, A.V. Rode, T. Taniguchi, S. Juodkasis
Optics Letters 40, 24, (2015) 5711
Femtosecond laser-induced confined microexplosion: tool for creation high-pressure phases
Saulius Juodkazis, Arturas Vailionis, Eugene G. Gamaly, Ludovic Rapp, Vygantas Mizeikis et al.
MRS Advances, 1, 17, (2015) 1149–1155
Functional multilayered capacitor pixels printed by picosecond laser-induced forward transfer using a smart beam shaping technique
Ludovic Rapp, Catalin Constantinescu, Yannick Larmande, Abdou Karim Diallo, Christine Videlot-Ackermann et al. Sensors and Actuators A: Physical, 224, (2015) 111–118
Multi-jets formation using laser forward transfer
Emeric Biver, Ludovic Rapp, Anne-Patricia Alloncle, Philippe Delaporte
Applied Surface Science 302 (2014) 153–158
Laser-induced forward transfer of polythiophene-based derivatives for fully polymeric thin film transistors,
Ludovic Rapp, Catalin Constantinescu, Philippe Delaporte, Anne Patricia Alloncle
Organic Electronics 15, 8 (2014) 1868– 1875
- Confined micro-explosion induced by ultrashort laser pulse at SiO2/Si interface
Ludovic Rapp, Bianca Haberl, Jodie E. Bradby, Eugene G. Gamaly, Jim S. Williams, Andrei Rode
Applied Physics A 114, 1 (2013) 33–43
Confined microexplosion induced by ultra-short laser pulse at SiO2/Si interface
L. Rapp, B. Haberl, J.E. Bradby, E.G. Gamaly, J.S. Williams, A.V. Rode
Invited paper: Applied Physics A 114 1 (2014) 33-43
- Generation of high energy density by fs-laser-induced confined microexplosion
E G Gamaly, L Rapp, V Roppo, S Juodkazis, A V Rode
New Journal of Physics, 15, 2 (2013) 025018
Microcapacitors with controlled electrical capacity in the pF-nF range printed by laser-induced forward transfer
C. Constantinescu, L. Rapp, A.K. Diallo, C. Videlot-Ackermann, P. Delaporte, A.P. Alloncle,
Organic Electronics 20 (2015) 1-7
L. Rapp, C. Constantinescu, Y. Larmande, A.P. Alloncle, P. Delaporte
Smart beam shaping for the deposition of solid polymeric material by laser forward transfer
Applied Physics A (2014)
- Judge and Reviewer for ANU Student Research Conference, 16-18 September 2020.
- Member of the Physics work, health and safety (WHS) committee
- Active member of the Laser Safety team for the Research School of Physics, College of Science, ANU
- Member of the reviewer board of Micromachines (https://www.mdpi.com/journal/micromachines), Impact factor of 2.523, active member
- Reviewer for Nanomaterials, Impact factor of 4.324, active.
- Reviewer for Applied Sciences, Impact factor of 2.474, active.
- Reviewer for Applied Surface Science, Impact factor of 5.270, from 2009 to 2011.
Chair of the symposium “Laser materials interactions for micro and nano applications” at the European MRS Conference, 2013
Dr Rapp is developping novel optical strategies of material structuration for the creation of new material phases with the collaboration of Swinburne University of Technology (Australia), the University of Cambridge (United Kingdom), Oak Ridge National Laboratory (USA), Argonne National Laboratory (USA), the National University of Science and Technology (Russia), the National Institute of Materials Science (Japan), and the University of Tsukuba (Japan).
He is participating in the development of ultrashort laser application for large scale industrial application and innovative laser preservation and restoration of the structural integrity and iconic status of the Sydney Harbour Bridge with the collaboration of Transport of NSW (Australia), University of Canberra (Australia), University of Sydney (Australia) and Australian Nuclear Science and Technology Organisation (ANSTO).
Dr Rapp is involved in experiments with extremely high-power laser for material phases transformation at the Japanese Spring-8 X-Ray Free-electron Laser SACLA in collaboration with Osaka University (Japan), Japan Atomic Energy Agency (Japan), Kobe University (Japan) and Queensland University of Technology (Australia).
- (02) 612 XXXXX (within Australia)
- +61 2 612 XXXXX (outside Australia)