Physics IT usage rules
Acceptable usage of ANU information infrastructure systems
The research school is charged by the Megabyte for all network usage. Excessive downloading of non work related material is discouraged, and could lead to action against the individual involved.
Examples of misuse
- game playing and excessive personal web searching;
- excessive data downloads at the cost to the University (University is billed at $4.50/Gigbayte);
- spending long periods at the computer without a break;
- sending frivolous or excessive mail, including chain mail;
- sending or downloading large files such as video or high resolution images over the network that are not related to work or study;
- monopolising systems, overloading systems or networks with excessive data, or wasting computer time, connect time, disk space, printer paper, manuals, or other resources.
- Any illegal activity. eg. Copyright infringement by unauthorised file sharing of music, video or software.
The school network is monitored for any excessive or inappropriate usage.
Links to ANU policies
- The Information Infrastructure and Services Rules
- The policy on Acceptable Use of Communication and Information Systems
- All central ANU IT policy