Automated manufacturing of composite parts for aerospace applications
Matthias Feuchtgruber & Fabian Diemar
After a general presentation of the Chair of Carbon Composites they both will give an overview of their research fields. In their talk they will present a workflow for automated manufacturing of composite parts including the 3D printing of the tool and the consecutive material placement with an automated robot system.
Matthias: Large Format Additive Manufacturing for Tooling
- 3D Printing of composite tools
- Adding continuous carbon fibre tape for improved material properties
- Material characterization of the hybrid material
Fabian: Automated Fiber Placement for aerospace parts
- General technology overview
- Towards a digital process twin: Defect detection and evaluation
- Effects of manufacturing defects: Combination of CT-Scanning and mechanical behaviour analysis
Matthias and Fabian are visiting researchers from Technical University of Munich – Chair of Carbon Composites where they pursue a PhD program in the field of automated composite manufacturing (https://www.asg.ed.tum.de/en/lcc/home/). They currently work in the group of Paul Compston where they analyse CT image data from composite specimen produced with different manufacturing techniques.
Updated: 31 March 2023/ Responsible Officer: Director, RSPhys/ Page Contact: Physics Webmaster