Electronics Unit history
The Electronics Unit was established in 1952 to support the School’s research activities. This was an exciting period for electronics, just a few years earlier the invention of the transistor launched a technical revolution that would change the world. The staff of the Electronics Unit faced many challenges in those early years and out of necessity virtually all of the equipment was designed and built in house.
The unit grew steadily in response to the boom in electronics to reach a peak in the late 1970s of around 15 people. With greater advances in electronics and the maturation of the integrated circuit, the technology continued to expand the possibilities for researchers.
Today’s electronics technicians still continue to face technological challenges with learning about now innovative systems and how to apply these to the ever changing world of physics research.